[Gdal-dev] ESRI projection (prj) format problems

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 25 13:33:32 EDT 2004

Chapman, Martin wrote:
> All,
>
> I am trying to use OGR to load some shape files with the following esri
> projections (.prj).  As I understand it, OGR/Proj should be able to
> convert the following projection names to the corresponding proj4
> names.  I have used both the importFromWKT and importFromESRI functions
> but keep getting the error - "projection not named" error.  I have
> attached some of the prj files.
>
> 1.  North_America_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic - Albers
> 2.  Bonne - bonne
> 3.  North_America_Lambert_Conformal_Conic - Lambert_Conformal_Conic
> 4.  World_Mercator - Mercator
> 5.  World_Van_der_Grinten_I - Van_der_Grinten_I

Martin,

I tried the Bonne, Van der Grinten and Mercator .prj files (it seems
those there the only ones in the zip file) and the VDG and Mercator ones
seemed to work OK for me.

For instance:

   testepsg ESRI::Mercator\ \(world\).prj
   PROJ.4 rendering of [ESRI::Mercator (world).prj] = +proj=merc +lat_ts=0
   +lon_0=0 +k=1.000000 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs

The Bonne does not translate, and I don't know what the equilvelent PROJ.4
string would be.  I don't recognise this projection.