[Gdal-dev] Almost got it - I'm learning.

S Clark smc+gdal at dogphilosophy.net
Fri Sep 10 23:50:00 EDT 2004

OKAY - several facts are falling into place in my ignorant brain now.
(It's like an intellectual trepanning - a hole has been poked in my
mind to let the ignorance out...)

1.)UTM coordinates aren't latitude/longitude degrees.  (And
everyone else on the list, who probably knows what they are
doing, are now slapping their heads and saying "duh"...)

2.)I cannot provide the 'world file' information as part of the
command line (didn't realize that.  No problem, I dug up
the format of the world file and can generate one, once I know
how to calculate the facts that I need to put in it from the
facts that I have...)

3.)I need to figure out how to calculate "easting" and "northing"
for a particular UTM zone (I already know how to calculate which
zone I am in.)

Seems like the only thing left that I need to figure out is how
to calculate the "easting" and "northing" of the upper-left
pixel of the map from the latitude and longitude degrees of
the map center and the "scale" (or meters/pixel, which I can
derive from the "scale").

I'll see if I can get that figured out tonight.  If all goes
well, sometime in the next day or so I'll be back to post "Whee!
I've got it!"...

Thanks once more

Sean