[Gdal-dev] gdalinfo --formats reports envi but doesn't read an envi

Carlos A. Rueda carueda at ucdavis.edu
Sat Sep 11 20:25:25 EDT 2004

Hello,

I'm having this strange behaviour:

    machine-1> gdalinfo --formats
    ENVI (rw): ENVI .hdr Labelled

but:
    machine-1> gdalinfo envi_image1.bsq
    ERROR 4: `envi_image1.bsq' not recognised as a supported file format.

    GDALOpen failed - 4
    `envi_image1.bsq' not recognised as a supported file format.

Of course, envi_image1.bsq *is* an envi standard image.
In fact, if I run the gdalinfo command from a different machine
(let's call it machine-2), it just works fine. The interesting thing
is that the binary I'm running is the same on both machines (through
networked directories).  Some details about the machines:

machine-1:  (debian) linux 2.4.18-bf2.4,
machine-2:  (debian) linux 2.4.18,

I compiled GDAL from cvs in machine-2.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH points to
the same location where the different dependencies (libraries) were
installed before running gdalinfo.

Even more interesting is that on machine-1 (where the above example
fails) the command succeeds for other essentially similar envi images ...

Any ideas?

thanks.

carlos