[Gdal-dev] netcdf reading problems

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 30 09:37:11 EDT 2004

Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to read netcdf data with gdal so that I can convert it to ascii
> format, and to be able to view it in QGIS. I found that gdal wont read
> any .nc files I give it. The data I am trying to read is multiband (e.g.
> http://linux-gis.co.uk/climate_sample.nc), but even a simple single band
> layer (http://linux-gis.co.uk/simple.nc) wont read. Iget error message like
> this from gdal:
>
> aps02ts at linux:/tmp/netcdf_tests> gdalinfo simple.nc
> ERROR 4: `simple.nc' not recognised as a supported file format.

Tim,

When I wrote the netcdf driver I was primarily interested in exchanging data
with GMT which uses a very specific organization of the data.  The GDAL
netCDF driver ignores datasets (even netCDF files) that don't match those
assumptions.

Your dataset does not appear to have been generated by GMT.

I do hope to rewrite this driver someday to adhere to the more general
COORDS definitions for grid data but this is a reasonably substantial
job and not anywhere near the top of my priority pile.

Sorry...