[Gdal-dev] Problem getting ECW SDK 3.1 working with gdal

Thom DeCarlo t.r.decarlo at larc.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 6 17:09:42 EDT 2005

I've just downloaded the latest ECW J2000 SDK from the ermapper site. I've
also updated to the latest gdal tarball. I'm using WinXP SP1 and VS.NET'03.

First I tried to use the ECW SDK binaries. When the build got to the ecw
directory I got an error saying there was a missing file:

C:\Svs_dev_C\gdal-cvs-20050405\frmts>cd ecw   && nmake /NOLOGO /f
makefile.vc   && cd ..
        cl /nologo /MD /GX /Zi /Fd..\..\gdal.pdb -I..\..\port
-I..\..\ogr -I..\..\gcore  -I..\..\alg
-I"C:\Program Files\Earth Resource Mapping\ECW SDK"\include
/DWIN32 -DFRMT_ecw -DNO_X86_MMI /c ecwdataset.cpp
ecwdataset.cpp
c:\Svs_dev_C\gdal-cvs-20050405\frmts\ecw\vsiiostream.h(74) : fatal error
C1083: Cannot open include file: 'NCSJP2File.h': No such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'for' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\VC7\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

And, sure enough, there is no file called NCSJP2File.h in the ECW include
directory.

I then downloaded the ECW SDK source code and tried to compile it. First,
the IDE complained that new projects had been added to the solution and it
couldn't connect to the SourceSafe server. Once I got past that and got the
include paths lined up I attempted to follow the instructions in the
build.txt file. Now it is complaining that it cannot find the file
"winhttp.h". A search of the computer proved that, indeed, that file is
nowhere to be found.

What did you folks do to get this stuff to compile?

TIA,
Thom

--
Thom DeCarlo