[Gdal-dev] Problem getting ECW SDK 3.1 working with gdal

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:37:48 EDT 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 5:09 PM, Thom DeCarlo <t.r.decarlo at larc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> I've just downloaded the latest ECW J2000 SDK from the ermapper site. I've
> also updated to the latest gdal tarball. I'm using WinXP SP1 and VS.NET'03.
>
> First I tried to use the ECW SDK binaries. When the build got to the ecw
> directory I got an error saying there was a missing file:
> And, sure enough, there is no file called NCSJP2File.h in the ECW include
> directory.

Thom,

I'm not sure why this is.  Did you get the Feb 2005 3.1 SDK beta?  You
pretty much need that recent version unless there is something newer now.

> I then downloaded the ECW SDK source code and tried to compile it. First,
> the IDE complained that new projects had been added to the solution and it
> couldn't connect to the SourceSafe server. Once I got past that and got the
> include paths lined up I attempted to follow the instructions in the
> build.txt file. Now it is complaining that it cannot find the file
> "winhttp.h". A search of the computer proved that, indeed, that file is
> nowhere to be found.

I believe winhttp.h is part of the MS Platform SDK which you need to download.
I think the build.txt in the ECW SDK directory talks about this a bit.

> What did you folks do to get this stuff to compile?

I was unable to get the ECW SDK to compile on win32 with the provided
build infrastructure for various reasons.  I tried "rolling my own" but this
has proved to be a rather disasterous waste of a 15-20 hours.

However, I have in the past built against the Feb 2005 3.1 SDK beta.
It is however *possible* that I have introduced a dependency not
satisfied by that beta.