[Gdal-dev] Re: Warping of large files

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 22:56:52 EDT 2005

Asger Petersen <asger <at> jo-informatik.dk> writes:

> Of course i could chop the files into pieces small enough to use Gtiff and
then mosaik them in Mapserver, but I
> would really prefer keeping them in one piece.

I can understand your reluctance to create tiled geotiff's but it is a very
fast, and relatively easy solution. If your images are color, try to make them
into a palettized (pseudo color) image. Possibly limit the number of colors in
the palette to less than 255 if you have other colors required for overlays in
your map file. Use a tileindex, and use overviews (gdaladdo). In my limited
testing a couple years ago this approached provided the fastest performance for
serving imagery off my system.