[Gdal-dev] question about AsciiGrid

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 14:13:59 EDT 2005

On 4/15/05, jluis at ualg.pt <jluis at ualg.pt> wrote:
> Hi,
> I think this is closly related to my early post
>
> http://xserve.flids.com/pipermail/gdal-dev/2005-March/008269.html
>
> The metadata solution seams a good idea to solve this grid vs pixel
> registration
> or "pixel is area" vs "pixel is point" issue.

Joaquim,

But I think in the case of your post, the netCDF driver has failed to
"adjust" things to the GDAL pixel-is-area model properly because I didn't
realize the netCDF was pixel-is-point.  The important part to solve that
problem is to fix the driver to adjust the extents properly.   As a secondary
issue, the driver could return metadata indicating if the pixels should be
interpreted as points or areas.

BTW, I don't remember fixing this netCDF problem, and I don't recall
seeing a corresponding bugzilla report.  If you don't submit a bugzilla
report it is highly likely that this will fade into my email box again and
never get fixed.  Of course, even with a bugzilla entry it might not get
fixed for a while, but I expect to be back working on the netcdf support
at some point.