[Gdal-dev] Re: Tiff problems

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:17:45 EDT 2005

On 4/22/05, Peng Gao <pgao at esri.com> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> GDAL list and site seem to be down.

Peng,

I am able to get through to www.gdal.org, and www.remotesensing.org/gdal
currently.  There have been some problems reported with www.remotesensing.org
earlier in the day.  I have logged in and restarted the mail queue to be
sure, but I didn't see anything obviously wrong.  I should soon see if this
email goes through.

> From: Peng Gao <pgao at esri.com>
> To: GDAL-dev list <gdal-dev at remotesensing.org>
> Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:24:01 -0700
> Subject: Tiff problems
> I have a 4-bit tiff with colormap. GDAL returns pixel depth Byte, and the
> pixels are all wrong.
>
> I have another single band 8-bit tiff with colormap. GDAL recognizes as
> an 8-bit 4 band image.
>
> I have the test images available.

I think I will need the test files.  There are a variety of circumstances in
which GDAL uses the libtiff internal conversion to RGBA.  This might be
happening in the case of the file that gets converted to four bands.