[Gdal-dev] Importing VMAP0 into PostGIS database; Was: Custom scenery integration

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:34:35 EDT 2005

On 8/9/05, Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:
> > FrankW  nhv: Check http://rafb.net/paste/results/PGY8bR34.html
>
> Indeed, this is almost what I'm doing here. I just added renaming the
> layers (with "-nln") in order to make it a functional equivalent of
> yours. All this looks quite reasonable and 'ogr2ogr' always returns
> zero. What makes me wonder is that the dump of the resulting database
> is only 14 MByte in size as the respective 'v0eur' dataset is 521
> MByte. Does this match your experience or do you think I missed
> something relevant ?
> Some old posting on this topic suggested to remove trailing dots at
> filenames in the VMAP0 set - I already did that without realizing
> significant change.

Martin,

On reflection, I think the problem is still likely to be the related to
the naming conventions of the fileset.  Where did you get your VMAP0
dataset?   Could I suggest you grab and unpack:

  ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/v0eur.tar.gz

With this and FWTools 0.9.9b3 I get the following for one of the layers.
Could you see if you get a similar result?

$ ogrinfo gltp:/vrf/home/warmerda/v0eur/vmaplv0/eurnasia 'cropa at veg(*)_area' -so
ERROR 4: OGDI Driver doesn't support update.
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `gltp:/vrf/home/warmerda/v0eur/vmaplv0/eurnasia'
using driver `OGDI' successful.

Layer name: cropa at veg(*)_area
Geometry: Polygon
Feature Count: 44114
Extent: (-10.377182, 30.000000) - (159.805161, 68.291046)
Layer SRS WKT:
GEOGCS["NAD83",
    DATUM["North_American_Datum_1983",
        SPHEROID["GRS 1980",6378137,298.257222101,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7019"]],
        TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6269"]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,