[Gdal-dev] RE: GDAL netcdf convention CF support - MapServer

Norman Barker nbarker at rsinc.com
Thu Aug 18 11:47:21 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-galeon at unidata.ucar.edu [mailto:owner-galeon at unidata.ucar.edu]On Behalf Of Denis Nadeau
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:26 PM
To: gdal-dev at lists.maptools.org; galeon at unidata.ucar.edu
Subject: GDAL netcdf convention CF support

GDAL now supports netcdf format using CF convention as specified by unidata.

   http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/conventions.hdf

The software looks if the variables lat/latitude and lon/longitude are presents in the netcdf file.  If found, these variables are used to specify the georeferencing transformation.

I'd like the community to try it out and if there are some problems, let me know. GDAL netcdf format also works on Windows with he precompile library version 3.6.1-beta1 (January 2005).

Regards,
Denis Nadeau
[Norman Barker]

Pleased to report this works fine with MapServer, reading netCDF files directly from disk.  I compiled the c netcdf libraries from unidata, then gdal, then mapserver, all worked fine.

I am finding that gdal isn't picking up any geographic coordinate information from the netcdf files, despite them having a geogrid, I am putting this in by hand in the map file.

The WCS getCoverage query worked, returning what was a netCDF file on disk as a floating point geotiff.

This is really good, thanks, once I have got fully working on the production system, I will update the howto on the MapServer web site for WCS.

Norman