[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL netcdf convention CF support

Dominic Lowe d.lowe at rl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 19 05:04:26 EDT 2005

Denis,

> I did not know somebody else worked on this.  Sorry to hear that we
> duplicated the work.

Me neither, but I'd only done a *very* rough version so it's not a problem.

> I notice that GMT checks for variable name "dimension" and "z".  GMT
> driver should then reject netcdf CF or COARDS Convention except if
> these variables exists.  This test seems to be good enough for the
> moment.

You're right, and the facts of the case are slowly coming back to me -
I'd actually written a  new CF driver separate from the existing gdal
netcdf driver. The clash was therefore between the two netcdf drivers
not between GMT and netCDF drivers.  As this isn't an issue now, you're
right, the extra check isn't necessary. Sorry for confusing the issue!

> At this point, I would like the netcdf driver to try to read the data
> even if it is not CF or COARDS.

Good plan :)

Regards
Dominic