[Gdal-dev] GDAL, Libtiff, Proj4 compiler warnings

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 12:10:20 EDT 2005

On 8/25/05, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> For the Xastir project we use GDAL, Proj4, Shapelib, OGR, libtiff.
> We've recently added more strict compiler checking to our Makefiles,
> then went through a few rounds of getting rid of the compiler
> warnings.
>
> On Linux it builds clean now, but on FreeBSD we have a few warnings
> showing up in the external libraries.  Here's a note from one of our
> developers that runs FreeBSD:
> I suspect most of these are easily solved.  In our Xastir code they
> were mostly due to "()" instead of "(void)".  The compiler flags
> we're using now are:
>
>     -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
>     -Wno-unused-parameter -pthread
>
> The "-Wno-unused-parameter" flag changes to "-Wno-unused" based on
> which GCC version you're using.

Curt,

I have committed fixes for the item you listed (in libtiff, libgeotiff,
proj and GDAL) but my attempts to reproduce the warning report
with -Wstrict-prototypes failed.  I don't want -Wno-unused-parameter
since it generates alot of junk warnings in functions that legimately
don't need to use all their arguments.  Likewise, I don't want
warnings on pointer arthmetic since I do that frequently and
legimately.