[Gdal-dev] swig/perl

Ken Boss Ken.Boss at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Aug 30 11:14:38 EDT 2005

Hello Ari--

I think Howard Butler and Kevin Ruland have already laid much of the groundwork that you'll require with their "next generation" (ng) GDAL bindings project.  See Howard's recent post at http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2005-August/006120.html.

Further, Schuyler Erle did some preliminary work on perl bindings for GDAL a while back (http://search.cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-GDAL/).  I think in particular you might find his typemap work (http://search.cpan.org/src/SDERLE/Geo-GDAL-0.11/typemap) to be of use.

HTH,

--Ken

>>> Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at tkk.fi> 08/30/05 1:30 AM >>>
Hi,

I'm thinking of writing a Perl interface to GDAL using Swig, similar to
the Python etc. interfaces in gdal distribution. I haven't used Swig so
I think this is also a good occasion to learn it. So far, in one hour,
I've got a gdal.pm which loads :) but no ogr.pm for instance (which I'm
mostly interested in now in fact). I copied typemaps_python.i to
typemaps_perl.i and made a global replace python->perl but I guess
there's much to do besides that elsewhere also. I know XS but I'm mostly
unfamiliar with typemaps.

Is anybody else interested in this? I mean interested enough and with
some free time to cooperate. I think I know of the usual places for
existing written advise, but is there anything more in particular I
should know about?

Ari