[Gdal-dev] GDAL Postgis Raster Driver

David Blasby dblasby at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:12:14 EDT 2005

I wrote the original CHIP code. It was designed to be ultra-simple, and I'm
assuming that no one's changed it in a while (looking at the code base
indicates this is true). Here's a few notes on it:

1. Right now you cannot directly index a CHIP. It has a bounding box and an
SRID, so you should be able to use the "normal" postgis indexing code & only
change a few lines. ie. look for where the indexing code extracts a box3d
(or box2d) from the GEOMETRY object and change that one line.

2. it hasnt been tested well

3. its incredibly simple - just a simple header and the data

4. consider saving a compressed version (I think you can get postgresql to
do this for you in the create type command). Accessing large objects in
expensive, so the decompressing overhead is probably small compared to the
cost of pulling extra pages off the disk.

5. Also, consider having the header information & the actual data in
different columns. Yes, I know this is the opposite of what I said in #1.
Whenever you run a command on a TOASTed column, postgresql will de-serialize
the ENTIRE object which is very disk intensive if all you want to know is
what the image size is or what the SRID is.

The entire CHIP code (lwgeom_chip.c in 1.0.x) is only a few hundred lines of
code.

dave