[Gdal-dev] Geodatabase Driver: Layer type vs layer content

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Dec 1 11:37:08 EST 2005

On 11/28/05, Craig Miller <craig.miller at spatialminds.com> wrote:
> I'm using the Geodatabase driver to import data into PostGIS.  I've only
> done a few tests, but it appears that the underlying driver always reports a
> layer as being a point/line/poly layer even if it also contains multipoint,
> multiline, multipoly data.  I haven't tried with 2.5D data yet.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?

Craig,

Looking in the PGEO driver code, it selects the ShapeType
from the GDB_GeomColumns table, and tries to set the
layer geometry type based on that.  It maps POINT
to wkbPoint, ARC to wkbLineString, MULTIPOINT to
wkbMultiPoint but POLYGON is just mapped to
wkbGeometry since I can't know if it includes polygons
and multipolygons.

Could you supply me with a personal geodatabase with mixed
types?