[Gdal-dev] Compiling gdal-1.3.1 with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition ?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 6 13:50:07 EST 2005

On 12/6/05, skotea at gmail.com <skotea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi people !
>
> I've tried to build gdal-1.3.1 under Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
> and it failed.
> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'odbc32.lib'
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\l
> ink.EXE"' : return code '0x450'

Well, the problem appears to be that you don't have ODBC
support.  You might either look into whether you can add this
somehow or to disable the requirement in the GDAL build.

I'm surprised that that the include files were available (allowing
things to get this far), but the library isn't.  Perhaps you should
dig around for "odbc*.lib" in the compiler tree.  Alternatively,
perhaps you can download the PlatformSDK or something like
that from Microsoft to get the ODBC component.

If none of that works, you can disable the requirement for ODBC.
It might be sufficient to comment out the ODBC_SUPPORTED=1
line in the nmake.opt file.  I haven't tried this in recent memory
though, so there may be other makefiles and stuff you need to
fiddle with.  It has been a working assumption of mine that odbc
is always available on win32.