[Gdal-dev] RE: shaded relief utility (DIY)

Charles Wivell charles.wivell at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Dec 13 12:27:27 EST 2005

Hi;

Maybe check out the MODIS Level 1A Geolocation ATBD. They developed an algorithm to find if the line of sight vector intercepted the Earth before intercepting the point in question for their geolocation algorithm. It would be the same idea, just the line of sight vector is from the sun, instead of from the MODIS sensor.

http://modis.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/atbd/atbd_mod28_v3.pdf

Chuck Wivell

Charles Wivell wrote:
> Hi all;
>

> If you want to include shadow, it becomes a little more complex.

Charles,
Do you know any reference where I could study the more complex
"include shadow" method?

I have implemented 4 or 5 different algorithms of shading relief but
none of them does shadows.
To my knowledge, the best shading with shadows is the one used by a
software called flerdermaus.

J. Luis