[Gdal-dev] shaded relief utility

Bryan Keith bryan at geomega.com
Tue Dec 13 15:46:46 EST 2005

Ethan Alpert wrote:

>One way to accomplish this is to color a vector topo set and overlay it
>with partial transparency over a grey scale hill shade relief.

Ethan,

How do you create the vector topo set from the DEM?

That's essentially the question I asked to a couple gis lists (though
not this one) a few weeks ago, and I didn't get any answers.  The output
must be closed polygons attributed with the data range of the DEM that
the polygon encloses, and the polygons must look like the results of a
contouring algorithm, not along the jagged cell edges of the input data,
just like the dataset on the demis website.

Bryan