[Gdal-dev] shaded relief utility

Ben Discoe ben at vterrain.org
Thu Dec 15 21:26:50 EST 2005

Paul et al.,

The free VTP software (built on top of GDAL) does all this already.  It does
hillshading of existing imagery from a DEM, produces 'color relief maps' by
letting you assign colors to elevations then shading the result.  It also
supports optional shadow casting, from any sun direction.  In fact, in its
3D runtime environment, you can even cast shadows from the terrain onto
terrain, and from culture onto terrain, using accurate sun direction taking
geographic location, time and date into account.
Or you can use it simply in 2D.

http://vterrain.org/

-Ben