[Gdal-dev] MrSID performance

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:27:06 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:59:17 -0700, Chapman, Martin <MChapman at sanz.com> wrote:

> I've seen some postings about MrSID performance.  It's really really slow on
> Windows.  Are there any plans to improve the performance of the driver
> implementation?

Martin,

I looked at the MrSID driver code on behalf of another client and it
seems the new DSDK 4 version of the driver always does block oriented
reads (of whole scanlines).    This will clearly need to be fixed.

However, Andrey is very busy these days, and I am doubtful that
he will have the time to fix this in the near term.  I may have to
re-implement this part myself, but I am not sure when it will get to
the top of my stack .

So, yes, clearly something needs to be done, and eventually will.
I'm not exactly sure when though.