[Gdal-dev] Is there any work on the python wrapper

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Thu Feb 10 15:51:51 EST 2005

Kevin,

Yes.  I am working on the ogr python bindings to provide a more natural
interface (in the python sense) to DataSources, Layers, Features, and
Geometries in ogr.py.

You can follow the thread in the archives at:
<http://xserve.flids.com/pipermail/gdal-dev/2005-February/007983.html>

Some of these additions will be released when 1.2.6 comes out.  We will
retract the sequential access to features (how feature slicing of a layer
is currently implemented) until I can come up with a clean way to support
the GetNextFeature() interface with an iterator that is backward compatible
to Python 2.0.

I've also added a way to conveniently test capabilities (you don't have to
lookup or remember the strings anymore), docstrings, attribute access for
Features (feat.mycolumn, etc.), enhanced the Geometry constructor, and
implemented __copy__ methods to support the Python copy module.

Howard