[Gdal-dev] Mapserver and Gdal with Ecw

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 08:33:29 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:30:33 +0100, Nacho <brodin_ign at gva.es> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've compiled MapServer with Gdal and Ecw support in Linux and it I've got an
> error when I request an image in a small scale in this conditions:
>
> Image Size: 350830x661256 px, 17530964 KB

Nacho,

That is a whopper of an image!

> Bounding Box:
> 724484.334581317,4346590.549035932,725775.6088994413,4347793.168699379
> Request size image: WIDTH=335 HEIGHT=312
> Exception:
> Error 48 "Could not perform Read/Write onGDALRasterIO() failed: drawGDAL():
> Unable to access file. GDAL
> RasterIO() failed: drawGDAL()

This error message does not suggest anything obvious to me as to why it
is failing other than that it does seem to be failing within the RasterIO()
call.

Linux is not an officially supported platform by ERMapper and I did find
a few things I had to change in the ECW SDK to get good operation
on my machine.  Did you build the ECW SDK yourself from source?

Would you be willing to try and reproduce the same problem with the
FWTools 0.9.6 for Linux?  ( http://fwtools.maptools.org/ )   If you can
reproduce it with that binary on an image small enough for me to
get a copy I should be able to track down the problem.   Alternatively,
if you can provide ssh access to your system I might be able to login
and do some debugging "in place".