[Gdal-dev] rgb2pct dithering ?

Nuitari nuitari at melchior.nuitari.net
Thu Feb 24 22:43:45 EST 2005

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm converting quite a few files from rgb to pct and I've noticed that
>> dithering using rgb2pct is always applied, even if the files is of
>> originally very few colours, giving a result that is worse then a
>> conversion without dithering.
>>
>> I've tried to find out where the dithering is happenning, but I do not
>> have much time to dwelve into libs
>
> Nuitari,
>
> Due to an (unrealized by me) backlog of emails pending approval
> from unsubscribed folks this message didn't circulate till now,
> 25 days after you sent it so I suspect the answer is not in time
> for your purposes.
>
> Looking in the code it seems there is no non-dithered case.
> I'm not quite sure why I didn't provide that.
>
> Sorry about that (and the delay).
>
> Best regards,

Hi,
I'm sorry I didn't realize I wasn't subscribed when I sent it.
I hope this one will be ok :)

It's a bit to late for use by me (for now) as I switched to another source
of data, however you might want to look at Atlas (http://atlas.sf.net) for
an example of a program that makes RGB images with less then 255 colors.

In the end I just took the splendid NASA digital earth imagery which
currently suits my need.