[Gdal-dev] OGR feature wish: addition/deletion of attributes and deletion of shapefile features

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at autoform.ch
Mon Feb 28 12:37:18 EST 2005

Dear GDAL developers,

Apologize if this mail is out of topic. I couldn't find a 'feature wish'
button on the OGR webpage, so i thought this is the place for it.
The QGIS project is an open source GIS which uses OGR to read vector
files (e.g. shapefiles). Recently, the capabilities of QGIS have been
extended to also edit data sources. So, it is now possible to add new
features to layers by mouse click. Unfortunately, it seems that the
shapefiledriver of OGR does not yet support deleting shapefile features.
Also, the OGR documentation says that it is not possible to add or
remove layer attributes if there are already features in an OGRLayer.
QGIS already has graphical user interfaces to do these things with
PostGIS layers, but it would be really cool if we could do the same for
OGR supported file formats.

thanks,
Marco