[Gdal-dev] Writing grid files

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 10:13:20 EST 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:45:29 -0600, Johnson,  Donald W MVK Contractor
<Donald.W.Johnson at mvk02.usace.army.mil> wrote:

> Is there any chance that GIO driver will be renabled or creation capability
> added to the AIG driver? It would be extreamly usefull for my work.
>
> Thanks for your time.

David,

It shouldn't be hard to re-enable the GIO driver in your local build
but there are "issues" with the way it tries to adjust the georeferencing
post-creation.  Likely the best way of dealing with this would be to rewrite
the export support as a CreateCopy method which would ensure I know
the georeferencing at the point the grid coverage is created.

To re-enable the GIO driver, I think you can just call uncomment the
call to GDALRegister_AIGrid2() in gdal/frmts/gdalallregister.cpp.  But to
fixup the code to set the georeferencing will require a bunch of development.
If you need it, perhaps you could write me a little more detail about what you
need to accomplish privately.

I have dug into the format before with the idea of adding create support
without use of the ESRI DLL but failed to master the format well enough
to create valid datasets.