[Gdal-dev] Memory leak related with reference counting

Marek Brudka mbrudka at aster.pl
Wed Jan 12 16:36:03 EST 2005

Hi Frank,

>Yes, it would be better reported via bugzilla.  The
>problem with bug reports on the list is that if I don't
>hop on them immediately they are easily forgotten
>forever.

Ok. I'll use bugzilla.

>In any event, I am aware there are dangers with the
>current references count for spatial references and
>OGRFeatureDefns, but I am not likely to make any
>immediate changes.  The obvious changes are likely
>to cause other bugs in code written to the current
>behaviour.

But for any serious application it is better to crash it than to allow
to leak silently. This speeds up the developement.
I can try to remove this bug and send you a patches, but unfortunatelly
there are no regression tests in GDAL
to verify if I did not destabilized other parts of GDAL :-(
Hmm, it seems GDAL needs some regression or unit tests..

>  But having a bug report on the issue in
>Bugzilla would be helpful to track the problem.  Also,
>if you have run into this problem in "real world"
>situations, it is helpful to outline that.

This  bug manifests in "real world" application.

Thanks
Marek Brudka