[Gdal-dev] color table problems

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 00:02:00 EST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:39:50 -0500, Mario Beauchamp
<starged at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Thanks. This could explain a lot, since I often use "shortcuts" such as these...
> Are there other objects that don't get a reference?

Mario,

And it *should* work but there are some issues with how I bound GDAL and
OGR in Python that in retrospect are perhaps subideal.   Just today Howard
Butler has browbeat me into improve management of OGR features and
geometries on the OGR side of the house.

> I also often wondered about how to properly close a dataset and make sure everything gets written to
> the file before closing. Is that the purpose of the FlushCache() method?

Well, really the only way to be sure it is closed to to ensure there are
no remaining references to the dataset.  The effectiveness of the
FlushCache() method varies by driver.  Generally speaking it forces image
data out of the raster cache into the driver to be written to disk.  Some
drivers also write any pending header information so the file is in
a consistent state on disk, but not all.