FW: [Gdal-dev] GML and GDAL

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Wed Jan 26 11:03:17 EST 2005

Frank: sorry for the previous direct mail.  I hit reply and didn't pay
attention to where it was going.

Frank and Norman:
  Thanks for your replies.

I'll give a little background and maybe from that you can tell if I am
going the wrong direction.

I have been working with the Blue Marble Viewer and am in the process of
building a similar tool as that allows us to use the Blue Marble data
sets or basic DEM / images files to provide accurate 3D scenes.  I
currently use GDAL / OGR to let the user overlay ArcView shape files on
the scene and through Demeter to load terrain files.

The original Blue Marble Viewer developer is animate that the GUI should
not be part of the visualization tool because it would slow things down
too much.  The new tool already has a DIS (IEEE 1278) interface to allow
it to be used in interactive simulations but I need to give the user
better local control of the scene to do things like overlay processed
image data over the scene and measure various aspect within the scene.

My thought was to use XML (since everyone is soooo crazy about it these
days) messages either through a local pipe or a network socket as a
control mechanism.  Since GML is a defined standard I was thinking of
using that.  I have not had time to go through the 600 GML page document
(though I am in the process of doing so) to see if it can be used this
way.

Is there a better standard protocol for doing such thing that will allow
the GIS tools to pass control and data messages or can GML be used that
way?

Thanks again.

Bruce