[Gdal-dev] OGR - Coordinate Dimension / PostGIS

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 22:34:21 EDT 2005

Folks,

Tonight I have committed a wide variety of changes to OGR in
an effort to make the OGRGeometry classes maintain a sense of the
coordinate dimension regardless of whether all the Z values are zero
or not.  This has been carried into the PostGIS and Shapefile drivers.

In general this is important because in PostGIS 1.0 geometries that
are pushed into a table (layer) must have the dimension matching
that of the table properly.  In the past, geometries with all zero "z"
values would be considered 2D and corresponding WKT generated
for them.   This does not work with PostGIS 1.0.

While doing this, I made a few improvements to PostGIS support for
1.0, including a fix for ExecuteSQL() results losing their geometries.

I have still not dealt with PostGIS schema support issues.

I would appreciate feedback if people suddenly run into problems
with OGR, and especially from folks trying to work with PostGIS 1.0.

I would like to thank Safe Software for supporting this improvement to
OGR.