[Gdal-dev] scanned maps for mosaicking

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Mon Jun 6 15:56:58 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 04:30:06PM +0200, Juan Ignacio wrote:
> I am using gdal to create a mosaic composed of scanned maps in tiff
> format. When I create this file the colour table of the first file in
> order to create the output mosaick. The problem is that not all the
> imagery have the same colour table therefore when you visualise the
> mosaic the only image which remains the same in the one of the colour
> table but the colours of the others have changed as the obviously had
> a different colour table. Does anybody know if it is possible to
> circumvent this problem and create a mosaic where all the colours look
> ok? Does the tiff format allow to include all the colour tables? I
> would not like to re-scan all the imagery to the same colour table.

Juan,

The simplest solution is to convert all your scans in the 24-bit RGB
format. You can do that with the tiff2rgba utility from the libtiff
package. Be ready that resulting images will be larger than original
ones, but not too much if you will use compression.

Best regards,
Andrey

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5970603  ICQ# 26871517