[Gdal-dev] GeoTiff PDS or ISIS test images

Leonard J. Reder reder at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 8 17:18:24 EDT 2005

Thanks for the reply Frank,

Yes I am unclear and somewhat new to this area.  What I did not say was
that I am interested in checking lat, lon but also checking elevation.
We have two planet models in our simulation code and use Gdal as an API
to various Geo file formats.  My main interest at the momment is testing
that we can do proper mapping of elevation in the code.  This will of
course depend on the source file having a good planet model.  So I
thought someone from USGS or JPL might see the message and have a set of
test images that could be downloaded.

The problem if I generate it is, that I will be doing it the way I think
it should be done.  This may not be the way Gdal or other GeoTiff
generators do it.

Len

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> On 6/8/05, Leonard J. Reder <reder at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am looking for test images to validate that the computations for
>>mapping coordinates within a software module are correct.  What I am
>>after are image sets not of actual data but rather of a correctly
>>generated sets of simple shapes on a lat,lon and elevation coordinate
>>system.   For example I would like to find a GeoTiff that contains
>>groups of 100 meter on edge cubes that are spaced and at verious heights
>>spread over a planetary surface.  My interest is mainly in GeoTiff but
>>if this sort of thing exists in ISIS or PDS format I probably can
>>convert it.  If anyone knows of such data sets could they send me
>>instructions on how to get a hold of them?
>

> Leonard,
>
> I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "cubes" or "at various heights"
> given the essentially 2D nature of TIFF images.  Are you wanting to verify
> that you can relate positions on a projected raster back to lat/long properly?
> If so, generating 2 band floating point images with one band being latitude
> and one band being longitude, and then reprojecting those to some
> projected coordinate system might be useful.
>
> If you can't find a way of doing that yourself, I could prepare a small utility
> to do it.  But in the end, the results are only as trustworthy as the GDAL
> reprojection support.
>
> Best regards,

Leonard J. Reder
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Interferometry Systems and Technology Section 383
Email: reder at huey.jpl.nasa.gov
Phone (Voice): 818-354-3639
Phone (FAX): 818-354-4357
Mail Address: