[Gdal-dev] ECW build and licensing, forthcoming source distribution (was: ECW Problems?)

Bill Binko bill at binko.net
Thu Jun 9 23:41:48 EDT 2005

Tom, thanks for the update.

I recently got ECW DOQQs for about 1/4 of Florida, which I'd like to
integrate into my mapserver-based site.  To do that effectively, I need
GDAL to work well with them, and hence a working ECW library.I am looking
forward to being able to use GDAL's utilities to build a pyramid tiling
scheme and making these available to my users.

As I mentioned in the post, (for the benefit of those cross-posted) the
current problem happenes about 1 in 3 executions of any GDAL utility (or
mapserver call to GDAL), and basically never lets the process end.  There
is a hanging thread or a deadlock somewhere between the GDAL and ECW use
of pthreads.

I am happy to assist in debugging this, but would like to do so with the
most recent version possible, and only if necessary.

I have downloaded RC2 and will to build it and try again.  It will
probably be Monday before I can report back.

Thanks for the update, and I (seriously) look forward to the simpler build
system (hint, hint - autoconf is EVIL, but it works).

Thanks

Bill

PS: now that Frank is back from vacation, I might bug him about this as
well :)