[Gdal-dev] Re: [kakadu_jpeg2000] Support for GeoJPEG2000 needed

Julien Demaria dem at acri-st.fr
Thu Jun 16 03:33:54 EDT 2005

Greg,

If your need is only to read/write GeoTIFF and GeoJPEG2000 you should use
this library/utilities : http://www.gdal.org/ (I send a copy of this post
to the GDAL's mailing list)
It's a "Geospatial Data Abstraction Library" widely used which can
read/write many (~ 50) raster formats in a same generic way.
GDAL read/write GeoTIFF and has a GeoJPEG2000 driver using the Kakadu
library which allows to read/write GeoJPEG2000 files.
For example with GAL utilities you can create a GeoJPEG2000 from a GeoTIFF :
gdal_translate -of GTiff geojp2.jp2 geotiff.tif
the inverse operation is :
gdal_translate -of JP2KAK -co "QUALITY=10" geotiff.tif geojp2.jp2     for
create a GeoJP2 file (with size 10% of the original file) using Kakadu library.

If your really need to implement GeoTIFF geolocation in Kakadu TIFF and JP2
support, maybe you should also based your work on GDAL library.
But to my mind I think GDAL already do what you want...

Regards,

Julien