[Gdal-dev] HDF-5

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:46:08 EDT 2005

Folks,

Early last week I was at the ESIP summer meeting.  ESIP is the
Earth Science Information Partners and is mostly related to
NASA (and other federal) earth science data utilization.

One of the discussions was about the HDF-5 format.  It is being
used for more NASA data products, and may well be adopted in
other areas of the industry.  I have also seen some client interest in it.

I am soliciting feedback on features people thing should be supported
by a GDAL HDF-5 driver, existing HDF-5 products that can be used
for compatibility testing, likely "issues", and any GDAL users
interested in financially supporting work on an HDF-5 driver.

I was also surprised to learn that the NetCDF 4 "format" is really
HDF-5.  It seems that a next generation of the NetCDF library is
available that uses HDF5 internally as the storage format, but providing
roughly the traditional NetCDF data definition and auxilary data
concepts.  I am interested in gauging interest in this too.