[Gdal-dev] RE: Strange NoData value from a MrSID image (Peng Gao)

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 13:56:57 EDT 2005

On 6/24/05, Peng Gao <pgao at esri.com> wrote:
> I have a question about the interpretation of MrSID NoData value.
> Is a pixel considered NoData only if all three values match their
> corresponding band NoData value, or Is a pixel considered NoData
> if any band value matches band NoData value? For example, given
> NoData values (0, 0, 0), Are only those pixels with value (0, 0, 0)
> considered NoData, or (0, x, x), (0, 0, x), and etc considered
> as NoData pixels as well?

Peng,

In the GDAL data model, nodata is band specific.  So if band one
has a nodata value of 0, then that band is considered to be nodata
if the pixel value is zero.  A pixel might well be no data in some bands,
and not in others ... at least in theory.

I'm not sure if this is the normal interpretation in MrSID though.