[Gdal-dev] merge 3 tiff files into RGB color composite geotiff

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 09:21:10 EST 2005

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:22:10 +0100, Jeroen Ticheler
<Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
> This worked great and I was able to see the output in OpenEV. However,
> I was not able to see the file in Gimp or any other graphical software
> I tried because they started complaining about unknown tags...

Jeroen,

Generally speaking unknown tags should be treated as, at worst, a
warning by reading applications.

> This
> happened when working with MODIS data, while a similar test with ASTER
> data didn't give the errors and the Aster image would open in these
> programs. I assume there are some tags that geotiff supports bu confuse
> other software!? Is there a way to remove these (export to some kind of
> GeoTIFF minimum!?) so the images will open in (m)any graphics software?
> Thanks again,
> Jeroen

You can use "tiffcp" to convert a GeoTIFF file into a plain TIFF file.
eg.

  tiffcp geotiff.tif plain_tif.tif

I have also, just this morning, added a new PROFILE creation option
to the GeoTIFF driver.  If you use PROFILE=GeoTIFF it will only add
GeoTIFF tags, but none of the custom GDAL tags (for metadata, nodata,
etc).  If you use PROFILE=BASELINE it will create a file without even
GeoTIFF tags.