[Gdal-dev] org: grass 6.0.0 vectors support

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 13:11:56 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:01:16 -0500, Jean-Denis Giguere
<jdenisgiguere at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Within grass 6.0.0, we can export and import vector formats using ogr. I
> would like to know why grass is not listed as an ogr supported format
> and avalaible within interface like ogr2ogr and mapserver ogr support ?

Jean-Denis,

It is not listed as an OGR supported format because it is not
a format supported by OGR.

The v.in.ogr and v.out.ogr programs use the OGR API to
access non-GRASS vector formats, but use the GRASS
API to read and write GRASS vector files.

It is my hope to one day implement OGR vector support,
but that is a fair effort in part because GRASS uses a
topological vector model while OGR uses a simple features
model.  There are also the dependecy issues that have
complicated use of the GDAL GRASS driver.