[Gdal-dev] ecw-compressing >500MB files

Ken Boss Ken.Boss at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri May 13 10:31:50 EDT 2005

>On 5/12/05, Ken Boss <Ken.Boss at dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:
>> Under FWTools 0.9.8, I can successfully use gdal_translate to
generate
>> an ECW output from a 400 MB input file.  If I try to do the same
with a
>> 750 MB input, however, I get:
>>
>> gdal_translate -of ECW -co target=95 two_tiles.tif two_tiles.ecw
>> Input file size is 18988, 14016
>> 0.100 - done.
>> ERROR 4: `d:\ken_mrsid\test_tiles\two_tiles.ecw' does not exist in
the
>> file syst
>> em,
>> and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.
>>
>> I'm guessing this might owe to input file size limitations, but
looking
>> at the ECW 3.1 SDK page at http://www.ermapper.com/ecw/ and the
price
>> list at http://www.ermapper.com/document/doc.aspx?doc_id=54, I'm
left
>> with the distinct impression that the free GPL-style license for the
SDK

warmerdam at pobox.com
>light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
>and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for
Rent

Frank--

Sounds great, but in fact:

gdal_translate -of ECW -co ECW_LARGE_OK=YES
d:/ken_tmp/test_tiles/two_tiles.tif
d:/ken_tmp/mosaicked_tiles/two_tiles.ecw
Input file size is 18988, 14016
0.100 - done.
ERROR 4: `d:/ken_tmp/mosaicked_tiles/two_tiles.ecw' does not exist in
the file s
ystem,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

Perhaps I need simply to wait patiently for 0.9.9 (or, as Brent
suggests, recompile against the newer SDK myself)?

--Ken