[Gdal-dev] GDAL over internet

Frédéric Trastour support at geoimage.fr
Tue May 17 11:25:50 EDT 2005

Hello,

our 3D viewer is actually accessing geomatic data DEM/Textures/Vector Layers  using GDAL & OGR.
I'm searching a solution to make this application able to access this kind of data over internet.

I think to two possible solutions :

1/OGDI :
The GDAL OGDI driver seems to allow to access data both locally and over internet ( using the gltpd server ).
In the GDAL distribution I use ( the one included in the Openv_FW package ) i can access, for example,
DTED Data using this driver. The problem is that the OGDI supported format list is quite small and doesn't
include any generic format ( able to support both DEM and Gray/RGB/Lut based textures ) like GEOtiff.

The ideal thing should be a GDAL Based OGDI Driver for GDAL ! With that, any format accessible via GDAL
should be used over internet.

I have found in the contrib/gdal section  of OGDI distribution, something called GDAL bridge.
Is it related ?

Does anyone really use the gltdp server ?

2/ tsmApi
I found on the web the following open source library : http://www.tvgeo.com/tsmApi/
This library is dedicated to the access/delivery ( the delivery is done via an apache module )
of imagery over internet using http.

A solution to my problem should be to develop a new GDAL driver based on the tsmApi.

Does anyone on this list already experiment with this library ?

I can't get it working perfectly. My apache server ( i recompile it, and recompile the tsm apache
against the same version ) craches sometimes int the server module.

Thanks in advance for any hints or comments on this two solutions.
Any other formats/driver/server possibilities should be OK.

Frédéric.

Frédéric Trastour - SpacEyes - dev at spaceyes.fr