[Gdal-dev] GML headers for JPEG2000 files

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue May 17 14:35:42 EDT 2005

On 5/17/05, Armin Burger <armin.burger at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I have a question regarding the new ECW SDK and JPEG2000 in GDAL:
>
> JPEG2000 supports metadata in GML format. Are there any plans to implement this metadata headers in GDAL? Eg, when converting from a GeoTiff with correct headers or defining the metadata in an XML file, writing the corresponding metadata into the JPEG2000 file ?

Armin,

Currently GDAL CVS does support writing GML boxes per the
evolving GML-in-JPEG2000 spec being worked on in the OGC
GMLJP2 IE (interoperability experiment).   However, to do this
it requires a patched version of the ECW SDK with support for
some extra jp2 boxes.

On reading the ECW driver supports reading these GML boxes,
even with standard ECW SDKs as the gml reading code is all
handled via the gdaljp2 modules in gdal/gcore.  I plan to extend
use of this to the JP2KAK and possibly other jpeg2000 drivers in
the future.

However, you asked about metadata in GML.  Currently my work
is only addressing coordinate system and georeferencing information
in GML.  It is also quite practical to embed generic metadata in these
gml packages, and I would like to do that.  I hadn't been pressing that
issue though since we (in the gmljp2 ie) were finding general CRS
work quite a challenge on it's own.

So, I suppose you could say there is a general intention to implement
generic metadata via gml in jpeg2000 files, but no fixed schedule for
this.   It shouldn't be hard to do if you have a pressing need though.