[Gdal-dev] NGA (aka NIMA) DNC Support?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 23:16:22 EDT 2005

> Quick question about supported formats for OGR...
>
> Are there any plans to support the DNC (Digital Nautical Chart) vector
> format from NGA (NIMA)?
>
> http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/dnc/

Hmm, new to me. Interesting. I wonder what overlap there is with NOAA's
ENC data? Duplication of effort or repackaged in a new format??
Any more links?

>From the FAQ:
 "Any system or software application designed to read VPF structured
data can display the data."

 "DNC® is currently available to the public for US waters at this time."

So it appears OGR built with the OGDI driver is needed.

  http://xserve.flids.com/pipermail/gdal-dev/2004-November/007446.html

  http://ogdi.sourceforge.net/

For US waters, NOAA has its data available as public domain "ENC"
non-encoded S57 format:
  http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/MCD/enc/index.htm

in OGR:
  http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_s57.html

see also
  http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/dataexplorer/

quasi-NOAA raster charts (BSB format v3 & older) are supported by GDAL:
  http://www.gdal.org/frmt_various.html#BSB

Hamish