[Gdal-dev] Google Earth

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 9 14:08:43 EST 2005

On 11/9/05, Chapman, Martin <MChapman at sanz.com> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I installed the application and looked at what dll's they put in their install directory.  I can tell you that they are using gdal12, proj, opengl, the opengl utiltity toolkit, qt, alchemy, xerces, opengl math library, Microsoft win32 api, posix threads, and the windows media library.  Those are the dll's that I could identify easily.  There really wasn't too much more than that though.

Martin,

Sweet!  I hadn't realized it was in use in the client app.   I will add
this on the list of packages using GDAL.

> Plus, what else are they going to use?  Is there anything better? ...nope.

In my highly biased opinion there is no other multi format geospatial
raster/vector read/write library out there that is closely comparible
to GDAL.

The closest comparisons I can think of essentially come
as part of a much larger system.  For instance PCI has GeoGateway
( my first baby :-) ), Safe has FMEObjects (stronger on the vector
side), and other major vendors also have multiformat libraries.  But
they don't usually license them standalone for other developers to
use.  Well, Safe does, but then several of the Safe drivers are
OGR derived so I claim a little ego-boo when they are used too. :-)

OK, time to reign in my swelled head, and get back to work.