[Gdal-dev] LIDAR/xyz/grid data to DTED

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 9 23:28:02 EST 2005

On 11/8/05, Huff, Mark MR <mark.huff at us.army.mil> wrote:

> I need to convert LIDAR/XYZ/or arcinfo grid data to DTED format eloquently.
> Does anyone know of a script/program etc already written to do this?

Mark,

You can use gdal_translate to write DTED files, but
you will need to preprocess the input into a single cell
at one of the required resolutions.   So to produce a
Level 1 cell you need to ensure it is appropriately
formatted as 1201 x 1201 and on the correct 1degree
cell boundaries.  This can be tricky, but can be accomplished
with gdalwarp.

Arcinfo grids as input should be fine.  XYZ ascii files
will require some sort of script to process.  I'm not sure
exactly what format LIDAR is in.