[Gdal-dev] pronounce gdal, proj

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 23 11:13:07 EST 2005

On 11/23/05, Maciek Sieczka <werchowyna at epf.pl> wrote:
> Frank, All,
>
> How do I pronounce PROJ in English? In few days I will have to speak
> English about PROJ.4 and GDAL for the first time. Regarding Gdal, I read
> it should be like "goodle", is that true?

Maciek,

I pronounce it "goodle".  I had originally thought to call it the
"Geospatial Object Oriented Data Abstraction Library" (GOODAL)
to make the right sound obvious, but I was too lazy to type GOODAL
all the time, so I dropped the OO part.   Some folks might say I
dropped it from more than the name. :-)

Most folks pronounce the library "gee-dal" which is ok too but not
my preference.