[Gdal-dev] gdaladdo to jpeg compressed tif?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 25 13:38:02 EST 2005

On 11/25/05, Matt Wilkie <matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> Should I be able to add overviews to a jpeg compressed tif? I have a
> batchfile I created a month ago which does:
>
>     for /d %%a in (0* 1*) do (
>       gdal_translate  %%a\dem_sh %outdir%\shade_%%a.tif -co "compress=jpeg"
>       gdaladdo %outdir%\shade_%%a.tif 2 4 8 16
>      )
>
> however now when I run it, I get errors like this:
>
>     gdaladdo -r average shade_095.tif 2 4 8 16
>     0...10...20...30...40...50...60...70..
>     Assertion failed:  sp->cinfo.comm.is_decompressor,
>     file tif_jpeg.c, line 675
>
>     This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it
>     in an unusual way.
>     Please contact the application's support team for more information.
>
> So either I never actually test the code above or the version I'm using
>   is broken (GDAL 1.3.1.0, FWTools 1.0.0a6, released 2005/11/03).

Matt,

I thought this worked for RGB JPEG data.  But I know it is broken
for YCbCr JPEG data in TIFF (the more common format).  Can
you provide one of the files for me to examine?

I have a client paying me to fixup overview building in YCbCr color
model JPEG compressed TIFF files over the next week so this is
a good time for me to collect samples.