[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL 1.3.1 Alpha 2 Released

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Sun Oct 2 18:46:59 EDT 2005

It is a happy coincidence that the gdalautotest suite has worked well
to allow us to exercise the next generation bindings, but it is my
understanding that they were developed to test GDAL itself, and not
necessarily the script bindings.

The testing suite as it currently stands can require many different
drivers that are not enabled by default on all builds and contain
significantly sized data to test the capabilities of certain drivers.
I wouldn't want to bloat the distribution of GDAL with all of the
test overhead.

My third point is that the next gen bindings development has been
disruptive enough without turning over the apple cart of testing at
this time.  I vote (there's only one vote that counts, btw ;) that we
hold the testing suite still until the dust settles on next gen
development and then maybe take a look at it.

Another thing to add is that an even worse scenario is to have *two*
test suites like MapServer has.  MapServer has the MapScript unit
tests (which have good coverage of methods and calls) and the
MapServer test suite which has coverage of the mechanicals of
MapServer.  It has made it difficult to divine in an automated way
what might be going on, and the fact that there are two different
test harnesses with two different invocations unnecessarily adds to
the developer overhead IMO.

Howard