[Gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR on AMD64

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 5 09:17:23 EDT 2005

Folks,

There have been some questions about GDAL/OGR operating on the
AMD64 (under Linux) and about how stable it is.  Brent Wood has been
kind enough to provide access to such a system running SuSe and I
have done some builds and tests.

I did find a quirk related to building -fPIC which I corrected in time for
the 1.3.1 release.  With that fix things seem to build find out of the box.

I also ran the test suite and all the raster tests pass.  On the vector
side something is failing in ogr_join_test.py but other than everything
went fine.  I will be working on tracking down the ogr_join_test.py
problem.

This isn't comprehensive but it gives a good indication that things are
pretty stable on the platform.

I would add that on the AMD64 platform under linux ints are 32bit,
and long and pointers are 64bit.