[Gdal-dev] OGR's importFromEPSG depends on libgeotiff?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 7 10:22:47 EDT 2005

On 10/7/05, Ben Discoe <ben at vterrain.org> wrote:
> I would be very curious to know what GeoTIFF _does_ store for CRS, if it's
> not as simple as a single integer EPSG code.

Ben,

GeoTIFF's can store simple EPSG PCS/GCS numbers or complete
parameterized coordinate system definitions.

When GDAL writes geotiffs it first looks for an EPSG authority code on
the PROJCS node and if it finds it that is set as the PCS.  However,
if that isn't found then a full projection definition is written with all
the parameters.