[Gdal-dev] GDAL bindings for C#

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Mon Oct 10 12:29:46 EDT 2005

The C# bindings for GDAL that exist in the 1.3.1 distribution and CVS
do not have SWIG typemaps.  This means that they are
incomplete.  They do compile and are somewhat usable in their current
form for doing things like format translation, etc.

For the C# bindings to be complete, a highly motivated developer
willing to jump into .NET PINVOKE and SWIG typemaps will need to
write some typemaps to follow the other GDAL language bindings.  This
is a challenging but not unpossible task.

Java bindings are in a similar boat, although there isn't really a
build system in place for those like there is for .NET.  Again,
someone who is highly motivated to write some JNI and SWIG typemaps
is needed to bring these up to the level of the other languages.

Currently, GDAL/OGR next-gen bindings development has these language champions:
Ruby - Charlie Savage
Perl - Ari Jolma
Python - Frank, Kevin, and myself
PHP - Kevin (these are incomplete at this point but Kevin has made a
lot of headway)

For your pet (SWIG-supported) language to have complete bindings, it
needs to have a language champion who is willing to do the
language-specific mappings between GDAL and the native language using
SWIG typemaps and the framework that Kevin, Frank, and others have developed.

Howard